What happens in an emergency?
Emergencies happen and your Sidecar Health plan provides coverage for when they do. If possible, we recommend the following steps when you need emergency care:
First things first: Find the closest medical care you need and get treated. If it is not an emergency, consider urgent care or an alternative provider.
Reminder - If your provider charges more than your plan’s Benefit Amount, you will be responsible for paying the difference*.
If you go to the emergency room:
- Show your digital member ID card, found in the member portal here, if the provider asks for your insurance ID card.
- Emergency rooms typically bill afterward, rather than during care. But if you’re asked for a down payment or deposit, you can pay using your Sidecar Health VISA benefit card.
- Make sure to get a copy of the itemized medical invoice from the provider.
After your visit:
- Give Member Care a call at 877-653-6440 when you receive your final bill for your emergency care. Our team is here to help confirm pricing with your provider before payment is submitted.
- Upload the itemized medical invoice to the member portal and our claims team will handle the rest.
What can you do if your emergency visit bill exceeds your Benefit Amount?
- You are responsible for provider charges that exceed your plan’s Benefit Amount. However, you may be able to negotiate your bill with your provider.
- If you’re unsure how to start, contact our Member Care team at 877-653-6440 and ask for support. We will coach you through the necessary steps.
*The Access Plan is an excepted benefit plan and does not provide comprehensive/major medical expenses coverage, minimum essential coverage, or essential health benefits, and are not subject to federal or state surprise billing protections.