Playbook for using your coverage
Here's a brief playbook for making the most of your Sidecar Health insurance:
- Call your provider before going to your appointment.
- Tell your provider you are paying for the visit as a self-pay patient and ask for all related prices for your visit, including any codes, labs, and imaging.
- Identify the provider’s self-pay or cash-pay price.
- Where a more complicated or higher-cost procedure is being pursued or always when the price is more than our Sidecar Health VISA card’s swipe limit, ask for a pre-bill with all the required information. Our Sidecar Health VISA benefit card swipe limits are $2,500 for medical procedures and $250 at a pharmacy.
- Use the member portal, available at member.sidecarhealth.com, to shop around and compare the Benefit Amount to the provider’s self-pay price.
- Your response should be: “Yes, I have Sidecar Health. It’s a different kind of insurance. It helps me pay you directly at the point of service.”
- Then, let the provider know you would like to pay the "self-pay or cash-pay price" today.
- Your response should be: “I do not have a traditional insurance ID card, and I would like the self-pay or cash-pay price today.”
- You can show your digital member ID card, found in the member portal under "ID Cards" OR show the provider the “For Providers” side of the welcome kit instruction card for more information.
- If there is still confusion, please contact or have the provider contact Member Care directly. Your Member Care team can be contacted via email or chat, or you can call them at (877) 653-6440 on weekdays 7am-10pm CT and weekends from 9am-5pm CT.
- Often, they refer to this as an “itemized medical invoice” or “superbill.”
- Pro-tip: Show your digital member ID card or bring your welcome kit’s instruction card to the provider’s office. It includes the list of required information for your medical invoice.
- Providers may not have that information available, so you may need to wait a day or two to get the medical invoice information. You can also ask your provider to add additional information to your Receipt of payment with the required information for submission.